Vice President of Development (GroundTruth)
With multi-year investments from regional, national and global foundations – such as the Knight Foundation, Google News Labs, Center for Investigative Journalism, and the MacArthur Foundation — GroundTruth is poised for major scale and growth. To help GroundTruth reach the next level of impact, we are seeking a Vice President of Development to partner closely with our dedicated and passionate CEO, RFA President, Board of Directors, and staff to build upon our fundraising success and ensure long-term sustainability.
Specifically, the Vice President of Development will:
- Spearhead the strategy and execution of a comprehensive and ambitious fundraising effort to take GroundTruth from $5 million per year to $30 million per year over the next five years. Create and manage to clear metrics for success and hold others accountability to achieving metrics.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit potential 6- and 7-figure major individual, foundation, and corporate donors from existing and to-be-developed pipelines.
- Work closely with GroundTruth CEO and Report for America (RFA) President as thought partners and collaborators, driving efforts to ensure leadership is fully engaged in funder cultivation and stewardship. Steer the work of the CEO and RFA President to enable the Board and Advisors to leverage their networks.
- Grow and supervise a team to execute on a coordinated approach that balances securing support for our ongoing work and scaling support for new initiatives.
- Effectively steward secured gifts and grants, keeping GroundTruth supporters abreast of our progress and setting up successful renewal of support.
- Design and execute events to showcase the organization’s talent and raise visibility and funds (e.g. salons and galas.)
- Develop and maintain data-driven systems to support a robust pipeline and moves management.
- Serve as a key member of the senior management team, contributing to overall organizational strategies.
- Present to the Board of Directors at quarterly, in-person meetings, and on committee calls as needed.
WHO YOU ARE
The Vice President of Development will bring a passion for fundraising, a desire to make an impact on a rapidly growing organization, and a heartfelt connection to education, journalism, civic engagement, and the issues GroundTruth addresses. Specifically, you are:
- An experienced fundraiser with a track record for securing major gifts. You bring success in and enjoyment of every step of identifying, closing and stewarding funding relationships of $100K-$1M+ with individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- An entrepreneurial builder with the know-how and desire to create new fundraising initiatives and programs from the ground up. You take a hands-on approach in translating strategy into tangible activities and results.
- A strong team leader with the ability to mentor and lead a team that will work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- A data-driven strategist who brings success in building sustainable development operations and systems. Salesforce experience is a plus.
- A strong communicator with a knack for marketing, communications, and/or storytelling in a nonprofit setting. You have a warm, energetic, and authentic personality that translates to building lasting relationships with a variety of constituents (e.g. board, staff, funders, strategic partners, fellows.)
- A network of contacts and relationships with philanthropic supporters of journalism, democracy, and education, or related fields is a plus.
- Able to travel up to 25% of the time (domestically sometimes internationally), with the flexibility to work evening and weekend events.
Please fill out this form which will also allow you to upload a cover letter and resume. Questions about the position may be directed to Director of Human Resources Anne O’Brien at aobrien@thegroundtruthproject.